Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Bliss That Travelling Brings

What makes travelling so fascinating? Why do most people love to travel? Well, first of all, there’s a change of scenery or environment whenever you get to a certain place new to you.

Second, no matter how timid you are, you will always have the opportunity to meet a new friend or two even if you don’t remember their names.




And third, ahhh the memories backed up by selfies and groupies! Years may pass but never the exciting memories etched in your mind forever or in social media, perhaps!



The Wanderlust In Me

I’ve been to a lot of places in the Philippines, some awesome while others are just so-so. My first trip outside of my hometown of Davao was when I was 13 years old.

My father (may he rest in peace), used to bring us siblings to summer vacations to where his ship went. You see, he was a ship purser. We’ve been to GenSan, Zambo, Cebu, Iloilo, Manila, back in the 70s.

During my college days in Cebu, my boardmates used to go home to their respective hometowns during the sem break and more often than not, I used to be alone in the boarding house during breaks. So, I thought maybe, it would be kind of fun if I went with them to their areas. So, vacation times saw me travelling to Oslob, Sibonga and Tabuelan, Lapu-lapu City, all in Cebu, plus Cagayan de Oro and Surigao, all in Mindanao.




Then again, my job after college as a social development worker also brought me to different places – Bacolod, Dumaguete, Iloilo, Manila, plus different municipalities of Cebu. Of course, since the internet wasn’t popularly-used and no smartphones yet in those times, the memories were left between the pages of the photo albums!

In my lifetime, I have switched careers that likewise made me travel, this time to places where there were Muslims and Indigenous Peoples, mostly in Davao, Cotabato, Marawi, Iligan, Zamboanga, Ipil, Bukidnon and Cagayan de Oro.

Then, as a freelance community development worker, my involvement with Plan International, World Vision and Save The Children again had me travelling to their respective areas of coverage such as Sarangani, Cotabato and Davao Oriental.

My family holidays as well entailed travelling to Surigao, Lake Sebu, and Mati, Davao Oriental.


My Foreign Travels

I had my first crack at seeing other lands outside of my own country Philippines, in the summer of 2017, courtesy of my kid sister and niece. They sponsored my very first leisure trip to Hongkong and Macau, China. And since the happiness and enjoyment cannot be contained anymore, I had to blog about them and shared the excitement I felt to the whole wide world.  Here are the links:






Now that I’m nearing retirement, I am looking forward to travelling again, whether domestically or globally. Who knows where my itchy feet will bring me next?


Well-liked Travel Quotes

Just curious, what is really the substance of travel? To borrow from some popular writers, below are terrific quotes personally hand-picked to best describe the very heart of travel:

If we were meant to stay in one place, then, we’d have roots instead of feet.”

It’s better to see some place once than to hear about it a thousand times.”

 “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.”

Travelling isn’t something you’re good at. It’s something you do – like breathing.”


And so on, and so forth.



So, there you are. No more words are needed to understand why travelling is a very significant thing to do in life. 

How about you – do you have an interesting travel quote to share?









My Happiness

General Santos City

Mt. Apo, Kapatagan, Davao Sur

Taoist Temple, Cebu

Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur

Cordova, Cebu

Tsim Sha Tsui (TST), Hong Kong

Lake Sebu, South Cotabato

Disneyland, Hong Kong

Macau, China

No comments:

Post a Comment