Friday, May 16, 2014

Do You Have A Passion For Writing?


Not everyone can write, there’s no doubt about that. Or shall I say it correctly- anyone can write but not everyone can become a writer.

A person maybe an eloquent speaker but it does not automatically mean he’s the one who writes his sparkling speeches. A preacher maybe able to craft a very good vision for his flock but if someone does not help him lay the blueprint, he may not get to see it come to reality.
 
Is it hard to write? And I mean putting on paper your thoughts, like writing an essay, poem, letters, reflections, realizations, and so on. If you feel you have a passion for writing, go for it no matter how old you are. It’s never too late to write!

They say that writing is both a talent and a skill- talent, if you were born with it and develop it through time; skill, if you take the effort of enrolling in some training or workshop and later on discover that you have the interest after all.
               
Of course, it pays to have a good teacher and a quality school curriculum to produce brilliant journalists. And that could be expensive. But luckily, there are people who really can write magnificent compositions in good English even if they are not professional journalists or writers.

I am one of the lucky few who can freely express what’s on my mind. I am not scared of being accused of bad grammar or wrong spelling and not following writing rules. Truth is, I have so many people in my life to thank for who have helped hone my writing skill.

First, there was my mom (may she rest in peace) who patiently corrected my writing home works. Secondly, my high school language teachers and college professors who instilled the much needed discipline when it comes to the subject.

Lastly, I had previous bosses (a priest and a nun) who believed in my capability and who inspired me to write my own reflections whenever our team had our retreats and recollections.

Furthermore, I happened to meet and became friends with an editor-in-chief of the longest running local diocesan weekly paper in my area. He has taught me all there is I need to know about writing for newspapers. And the rest is history.

Today, I can no longer keep track of the number of articles I have written since 2012 for the outsourcing company I’m working for. My happiness is indescribable whenever I see many of my works published on various websites.

Unfortunately nowadays, there are the so-called instant writers proliferating on the Internet. Many people claim to have an authority over a certain discipline or master of this and that and now are writing online. Of course, this does not include the legitimate ones whose articles are an important resource for those who need info.   
               
In all fairness, there are many individuals who have a passion for writing and it’s good to encounter them once in a while when you’re doing your search online. You not only get educated reading their materials but entertained as well. And most importantly, you can relate to that person.



How about you? Do you feel the same? Share your thoughts here.               

1 comment: